April 8, 2008

No Poker Today, But Some Cool Pics I Took

So this past Sunday I'm relaxing on the deck and chatting with Mrs. Whodat and this little anole comes running by. Luckily I had my camera handy.

He's sitting there doing what looked like push-ups, and then shows off his dewlap to attract females (can't say that I blame him...it's a beautiful day and I'm sure the lady anoles are cruising as well)and defend his territory.


Green+Anole.jpg (click on the thumbnail for a larger image)


They're about 9 inches long and this particular reptile is the only one native to the U.S. They're commonly confused as chameleons as they have the ability to turn brown also. There was actually a brown one on my deck. I almost caught a shot of him grabbing a bug but it wasn't meant to be.


Below is a closer shot of him taken with full maginifcation on my Canon S3 IS (12x optical, 4x digital)




Green+Anole+Headshot.jpg (click on the thumbnail for a larger image)




The shot below was even closer as he scurried to another beam on the deck. All these shots are full frame and no cropping at all. Hope you enjoy these. Leave a comment and let me know what you think.



Green+Anole+Head+Close+Up.jpg (click onthe thumbnail for a larger image)

4 comments:

Alex said...

Excellent pics as always. Where is the pic turning brown ???

John said...

This one didn't turn brown, but there was another guy on my deck that was. He was on a diiferent beam and blended in really well, so no picture came out good enough to post. But they are all over the place right now I'll try to get a few good ones soon. Thanks for visiting, Alex.

John said...

Lex, here's on e I posted on my flickr account.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whodatupdare/2398951652/

Alex said...

Nice.... his eyes look very very cool... thanks for the pics.