February 25, 2013

Soup!

 This isn't a post about the Mercedes Half Marathon. I'm still trying to get that together. I thought you would enjoy another post about soup! I love soup.  Probably more than I love salsa on my eggs and if you're one of the few who still read this sorry excuse for a blog you know about my affinity for salsa and eggs already.

I made this Mushroom Barley soup from the same cookbook  in my previous post. This one is Vegan too. I've never cooked vegan before so this was new territory for me.  My wife is trying to eat cleaner foods and this seemed the perfect opportunity to try it. So without further ado, here are the deets on the soup.


Prep the following:

Mire Poix

                      1  diced medium white onion, 2  diced small carrots, and 2 celery stalks.





Button Mushrooms, Garlic

                         
                                  Slice 8 ounces Button mushrooms and mince 3 cloves garlic.





8 ounces Shiitake mushrooms

                                   Shiitake mushrooms, sliced. Remove the stems first.




Herbs: 1 Tbs Thyme, 2 Bay Leaves
                                           
 Herbs :  I didn't have thyme so I used Herbs de Provence here.  It works the same and gives it more flavor.




                                            Now on to the fun part.. COOKING!




Veggies and Mire Poix


   In a large stock pot with a lid, sweat the veggies in 2 Tbls. olive oil over medium heat for about 10       minutes.  Stir often.



Adding herbs and spices

         Add the garlic, thyme, and bay leaves and cook until fragrant, about one minute longer. The recipe doesn't call for it, but I added a couple splashes of red wine too.



Vegetable Stock
                     Pour in 48 ounces vegetable stock, cover, and bring the soup to a simmer.


Pearled Barley
    Add 1/2 cup pearled barley and cook for 35-45 minutes until the barley is tender.  Taste and adjust   the seasonings with salt and fresh ground pepper if needed.


Mushroom Barley Soup

A race report from Mercedes weekend is coming, as well as my thoughts on the Adam's Heart 10 mile race I ran 6 days later. If you try this soup please let me know what you think. Hope to see you on the roads soon. Happy running and eating!

1 comment:

Yo Momma Runs said...

I need to hurry up and make more soup while it's still cold.

And I'm still working on a race report too. Sometimes those are the hardest to write because there's so much you want to include.