June 2, 2013

What Am I Getting Myself Into?

I recently started joining the Sunday Morning Group at the old Brownwell Building (NBC Bank) in Mountain Brook. In the past I would do solo runs here because I didn't like getting up early enough to run with a group of people. I work a lot of nights and usually stay up for a bit to catch up on the NHL playoffs, or watch some crime show on ID. But "the times they are a changin" as Bob Dylan said so many years ago.

Running early before the butt crack of the sun comes up 2 times a week - once for hill work, once for speed work with some cheetahs - has made me rethink keeping my carcass in the latex bed for extra shut eye. Even Mrs. Runner Runner has been impressed with this new found dedication. Sort of. She's just happy she can get the bed made before she goes to work.

So now I started running with Suman and crew the past two Sundays. It's been really fun talking a bit to others and the pace hasn't been too bad, as I'm right where I want to be leading up to my July race.
Mrs. Runner Runner will be running here for her first Half as well! I'm very excited about her running her first Half in my hometown!

 SO where was I? Oh yeah, back to Suman. We're He's chatting away about how I need to run more with him, which I intend to do unless he starts running nothing but trails  (more on that in a different post) and I'll be "ready for a PR in an October marathon." GULP!  I quickly let him know I haven't run a full before but it's been a scratch in my throat this year and I MIGHT be thinking of doing one but I'm not certain I really want to. Deep down I think I'm ready scared to try and he's currently winning the argument. So with that, I'm trying to talk myself into doing this and picking a marathon to run. Right now I'm leaning towards 7 Bridges in Chattanooga, TN  or the Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville, AL.

I have no idea how to train for a full - I'm not hiring a coach because I'm cheap - so I guess I'll do some research on plans and all that entails getting ready for this. And that's if I pull the trigger and register. So I guess the trigger needs pulling..... GULP!



4 comments:

Ken said...

Running my first full in October. Using a plan from the book "Marathoning for Mortals".

John said...

Good luck to you! Which race are you running?

Yo Momma Runs said...

Uh oh, you're getting the marathon itch! Good job, Suman, for talking him into it! And running with people is the only way to go. So much more fun. I used a Hal Higdon plan for my first.

John said...

Lisa, yes, the marathon itch is accurate! Gotta admit I'm a little intimidated by the distance. OK, scared s**tless is more like it...

I was told last Sunday I'll either hate the marathon or despise it. Is that a fair statement?