October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!

La+Cucaracha.jpg - (click on the thumbnail for a larger image)



I hope you got a little startled at this image. Don't worry, the subject was dead and no harm came to the photographer. This was taken in super macro with the Canon S3 IS.

The thing I like about this camera is that you can literally focus to zero inches when you shoot in this mode. The drawback is that you'll create a shadow form the lens barell when you use the flash, but a friend of mine came up with a cheap solution to get rid of it. You simply cut a hole in a styrofoam bowl and attach to the end of the barell and you get even light across the whole subject, which happened here. The distance to this creepy crawlie was the depth of the bowl I used, about 2 inches. As always, click on the thumbnail for a larger image, and finer details on this guy.

Sometimes I feel like one of these guys when playing in the freeroll tournaments.

6 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Roll model. Love your macro shots, John. They're great ....

John said...

Thank you, David. I'm slowly learning to take better macros. Getting a little better every time.

John said...

Just a follow up too. I don't have a super macro lens on the camera. It is a setting that allows you to shoot a subject in th erange of 0-3.9 inches (0-10cm), but you can't zoom any closer or shoot in wide angle. But my friend - www.flickr.com/photos/photophool - uses a lens mate adapter and a Raynox DCR-250 lens for some really incredible results. So that is on my Christmas list.

david mcmahon said...

Ah, really enjoyed that data. Very valuable information.

You should post that on your blog so other readers can benefit from it. It's a great tip. Maybe post it with your next macro shot.

And in reply to your question: ``I love this shot, David. You always find some interesting angle from which to shoot and have an incredible eye! Is this the same jet from earlier when you took a shot of the nose of the aircraft?'' --- yes, it is the same sequence and the same Hornet. The original picture post was called (I think) The Sting Of The Hornet.

Cheers

David

Anonymous said...

Awesome shot and great tip for shooting macro. Roaches make me feel all squeamish and itchy.

John said...

My pleasure, Chewy, and thanks for visiting.


John