March 30, 2007

Tuesday's With Whodatdare

Traditionally, Tuesday has not been a good winning day for your favorite hero. I looked back in my Poker Tracker stats and I lose more money here than on any other day. This wasn't the case this past one. I had another Ace Ten hand come up and played it better than I did in my previous post and wanted to share it here. I'm in the cut off (CO) seat and raise it up 3.5 times the Big Blind and get three callers, so the pot stands at $2.50 after the rake. The flop is my best friend and comes up 6d Tc Ts. Now it's time to extract some of those lovely chips from my villains! Its checked to me and I do the same, hoping that the guy behind me bets, thinking we are both weak. He bets the pot, The Big Blind folds and I call. The turn shows a Queen and now the villain checks to me. My hand is still huge, as the only cards that beat me are exactly 66 and QQ so I check behind in hopes that the Queen may have helped him and he'll call a river bet. The river card doesn't help here ( it's a 7) and I bet out $4.00 and get a call. He shows me QJ offsuit for two pair. Not too bad. I played this hand as good as can be expected, I think, unless a turn bet from me may have brought a raise from my opponent?

I did have an interesting hand on anther table. I'm dealt pocket Queens in the Big Blind and my foe this time is on the button. His Poker Tracker stats are 28/14/3.5 after 80 hands. Not bad stats, really. He's kind of aggressive so you can't believe all of his raises are strong hands but you still have to respect him somewhat. Instead of just calling I decide to 3 bet him here and he calls. That usually means his hand isn't very strong. Most people that have huge hands will shove all their chips in once you re raise them pre flop so I like my chances here. I have a very good starting hand but I'm out of position the rest of the way. I must also note that this villain has been pushing everyone around the table and hasn't shown down a hand. The flop comes up Ks Kc 6s. I check, call his flop and turn bets, which are $3 and $5 respectively. The reason I'm just check calling is because again, he's a bully and probably doesn't have much here. I'm either way ahead or way behind. The board is pretty scary, showing K K 6 4 4. Now the fun part. He shoves all his chips in. My decision just got extremely difficult. Would he really play a super strong hand this way? If he was that strong wouldn't he try to induce a bluff from me? I didn't think so and called. Can you guess what he had?

Good luck on the felt............

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you probably should have made a small bet on the turn. Under the size of pot. Don't give your hand away but you probably would have gotten value out of the idiot that floated you hoping he made the best hand. There was not much wrong with checking because you did get him to bluff.

Just now ran across your blog. Looks great!

NeonBlack said...

In the second hand, I think your read here pre-flop is good. The flat call of your 3 bet looks like an attempt to save face after a failed attempt to take the blinds. You've indicated that you like your hand, so if he had a monster, he would more than likely try to get it all in right then and there knowing he has you dominated and that you'll most likely call. The way the rest of the hand played out, I'd be confident he doesn't have a King. He's using the board to try and scare you. The push on the river looks suspect though. He's tried to push you out of the pot twice, only to get called. If you had a hand like AK or KQ, it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to check/call like you've done. I think the push on the river puts him on a hand with a 4, most likey Ace-4. He's thinking you have a King and know you certainly don't have a 6 or a 4 to go with it. He knows his boat is good. He also knows his push is more than likely to get called because you have a King and know he's been bluffing the whole way. So, how far off am I?

NeonBlack said...

Damn dude, you'll have to excuse my donkey ass. KK644 would give him an underboat, so that analysis isn't very good :) This is why I don't play poker right after a long day at work. New rule: don't think about poker either. So, how did it turn out?

John said...

I'll give my answer later, when you hook up my network.

John said...

Mo, I was wondering about the check I made on the turn. Would you have amde a bet in the 1/3 pot size or higher? I was thinking that may be the right size to get him to commmit his whole stack. Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

On the AT hand. I will mix this up but I am always betting almost all my hands so I will usually lead for 1/2 to 2/3rds the pot here. The problem with checking you big hands is that it makes you transparent. So I make a habit of almost betting everything when I have it. If he his a idiot, you see a worse ten here more often than not.

Anonymous said...

Hand 2:

Wow. I hate these spots. You did fine. I don't really cold call QQ from the Blinds to a button raiser. I will almost always 3bet. Check/Calling dangerously underreps your hand. Villain most likely has 88-JJ here but I can see you not thinking he has a K.

This is verrry read dependant on the river. All streets look fine.

John said...

I agree, Mo, and I actually 3 bet him from the BB (QQ hand). Thanks for your thoughts, and can you link me to your blog? I'm doingthe same for you here with your say so....

Anonymous said...

I already did.

Anonymous said...

What did he have on that QQ hand, btw? 44?

John said...

He had T9 diamonds