April 16, 2007

Another Good Sunday

Not only did I play a little poker, but we had our daughter's 2nd birthday party as well. This is the first year that she fully understands the whole birthday thing and just to see the look on her face makes it all worthwhile. My wife worked really hard to get a lot done in the house and I have to say thank you for everything you do. You're the best, honey!

I managed to play 2 tables and get in 365 hands for a profit of a buy in. Nothing too special stood out from the session either. I made a few mistakes that cost me some pots, didn't let it affect my overall mood, and made it right back. It was a better session than last Friday night, as I made better decisions. I have a long way to go if I want to improve for the next level. I was reading two posts, here and here, that really got me thinking. They are very well written and his blog is in my links on the right. Please visit there.

I'm doing okay at this level, especially since I've only played 6 max for about 3 weeks. I've made some blunders, but not nearly as many as I thought possible. I do think I'm missing some opportunities to exploit my opponents' weaknesses and that is costing me money. The money is better than at full ring games and if I can apply myself and study more, and get rid of some of my biggest flaws I'm sure I'll have the roll for $50NL pretty soon. But simply having the bankroll to ascend to the next level doesn't mean squat if I don't get help in the areas I posted about here. If you want help with your game you would be doing yourself a favor by registering there. It's free to join, and there are some great poker minds there. Until then, good luck on the felt...........

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your main goal should not to be moving up in levels.

I have tried this strategy and have lost almost everytime I grind to just move up in levels. You end up hitting a glass ceiling in which you are effectively on "tilt".

You will end up playing faster and start to chase more pots than you should.

Focus on consistantly beating on level. When you have a comfortable roll, ~30 buyins, you can start taking shots with the aim of staying at that next level.

I can beat up to $100 NL but it is my mindset and gambling drunk that losses my monies!! Mindset Mindset Mindset

John said...

I totally agree with you on that. I'm nowhere near ready for the next level, even if I had 50 buy ins right now for it. I've been such a nit with my roll that I'm not going to risk it until I know I am fully ready. Thanks for the advice and don't play drunk, you silly fool!!! Although, I must admit, alcohol is delicious.

Anonymous said...

So delicious.

Being nitty is good, IMO, until your learn other players tendencies. It takes a while of playing one level.

When I first met, ispearfish from the forum, he was only two tabling $25NL.

He practiced hard and watched Jared and the other pros play for hours on end. He is probably one of teh best players I know now.

All I am saying is: Without being able to sit and watch someone who knows what there doing. You will never know what you are doing wrong. So you have to do your own homework. Practice and concentrate. GET pokertracker if you do not have it so you can record your hands. (i know it is kinda a pain on UB but it worth it)

Like I said before, you seem to have what it takes to make some serious money at this game. Patienc and Practice is all it takes.

John said...

I have PT and am using it more to critique my game and find out where some of my flaws are. Pokey's post on 2+2 is really good for this.

Thanks for the encouragement, Mo. I'm actually where ispearfish was right now; 2 tabling until I can read hands and players better. I know it'll come with time. Just found Gigabet's post from a couple years ago that set a fire in me to get going. Good luck on the felt when you get back.... and don't sit down at my table, you f'ing shark ;)

david mcmahon said...

G'day whodatdare,

Thanks for leaving your query on my blog. I'm glad you like the pictures I post on my site.

In answer to your comment, I would say that there is one single secret to a good shot. If you see something and it catches your attention and you look twice at it, just photograph it. You might need to shoot it from three or four different angles in order to give yourself some choice.

Post them on your blog, let me know when you do so, and I'll always get back to you with some feedback.

Looking forward to seeing some of your shots. Oh and if there's one thing I can add - some people believe you must always use a camera in strong light, but some of the best shots I've ever seen have been in moody, low-light conditions.

Do start experimenting and let me know when you have some shots for me to look at.

More than happy to help.

David aka aussiejourno
http://david-mcmahon.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

LOL.

I have not been playing much but you I think I remember your tag. I have been playing $50 NL but not as often because I have been busy and thinking about my game.

Yea, PT is great for analyzing your data. If you ever want...at the end of the month take your totals, you can save a screenshot, I can look it over also and you will probably get input from Jared and I

John said...

Thanks for the quick reply, David.

I will definitely let you know when I put some photos on here. I can always use a professional's eye for details.

John said...

Mo, I may take you up on this really soon. That is very generous of you. Any help I can get is much appreciated. As for your comment on my last post at the Dynasty;Once I hit submit I immediately thought," MO is gonna say 'bet the pot, yo!!!!'